Montereyherald.comIglesias entertains Gadhafi sons (eliza dushku mention)
Monday 9 January 2006, by Webmaster
George Rush and Joanna Molloy Star Talk
It was a working New Year’s Eve for Enrique Iglesias. The Latin crooner was busy entertaining the sons of Col. Moammar Gadhafi.
The Libyan dictator’s boys, Saadi and Mutassim, pulled out all the stops when it came to ringing in 2006 on St. Bart’s, where they took over the Nikki Beach club. A rep for Iglesias would confirm only that he performed "at a private function," but we hear the Gadhafi lads compensated him handsomely.
Whatever they were paying him apparently didn’t cover the job of mingling with their friends. Our spy says, "Enrique wouldn’t come out of his VIP area."
Groundwork for the party may have been laid at September’s Venice Film Festival, where Iglesias’ girlfriend, Anna Kournikova, got to know Mutassim, 28, and Saadi, 31, who plays for Italy’s Perugia soccer team.
The Gadhafi brothers have gained entree into the celebrity sphere with projects such as aiding children in Niger. But, on St. Bart’s, they seemed focused on having a good time.
"They came with an entourage of 30 or 40 people, with lots of security," says our spy. "Every day they were on the beach, riding Jet Skis, and having long lunches with plenty of wine."
Elsewhere on St. Bart’s, Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen let friends live out their rock ’n’ roll fantasies at the New Year’s party aboard his 416-foot yacht, Octopus.
Martha Stewart, George Lucas, Eve, Owen Wilson, Simon LeBon, Ron Perelman and Ellen Barkin, Stephanie Seymour and Peter Brant, Harvey Weinstein and Georgina Chapman, Barry Diller and Diane Von Furstenberg, and Russell and Kimora Lee Simmons got to play with Allen’s custom karaoke machine — outfitted with instrumentals commissioned from the likes of Paul McCartney, Bono and Gregg Allman.
Allen "was jamming on his guitar all night long while people sang and danced," one guest tells us. "Around 3 a.m., Usher walked up and picked up the mike and sang a couple of songs by Ray Charles and Johnny Cash."
Meanwhile, White Star rocker Cisco Adler played the New Year’s bash at the Victory Hotel, but the party ended on a shrill note when he and his girlfriend, "The O.C." star Mischa Barton, got into a fight afterward.
"He didn’t want to party with her friends," says our witness. "They were cursing and slamming doors. Then they holed themselves up in their bungalow."
Well, the year can only get better.
Paris Hilton stands accused again of using racist epithets.
Last year, the hotel heiress denied claims that she’d used the N word, as well as anti-Semitic slurs. Now, self-styled L.A. event promoter Brian Quintana claims she branded him a "lazy Mexican."
Quintana says that’s just one of the "hateful" things Hilton has uttered in an effort to get him away from her boyfriend, Stavros Niarchos, and that her alleged threatening calls have gotten so bad he believes his life is in "imminent danger." Last week, he filed for a restraining order in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging that "(Hilton) has a drug problem, some rather shady associates, and is known for erratic behavior."
In one message Quintana played over the phone for us, a woman he claims is Paris screams, "You’re a pathetic (bleeping) loser! Never call or text Paris or Stavros again."
Quintana claims he introduced Hilton to the 19-year-old Greek shipping heir, but now she wants him out of the picture.
"I moved in the past week, and I got one call where she said, ’We know you moved. Tell us where you moved to,’" he tells us.
Hilton’s rep didn’t immediately return calls. But a source close to Niarchos argues, "Stavros barely knows this guy. He just wants attention."
Paris is due in court on Jan. 17 to contest his claims.
Meanwhile, we hear she was paid $100,000 to host Tao’s New Year’s party in Vegas, but that she refused to appear at the midnight countdown because the club refused to let in her underage boyfriend.
• Lindsay Lohan was admitted to a Miami hospital Monday night after suffering a severe asthma attack. Lohan came down to host a New Year’s party at Prive. But by Sunday, the city’s humidity had started to affect her breathing, according to her rep. "It’s the first attack since I’ve known her," spokeswoman Leslie Sloane Zelnick told MTV.com. Zelnick says Lohan will be "resting comfortably" for "a few days," but should be back in New York in the next few weeks to start "Chapter 27," in which she stars as a John Lennon fan who befriends his killer, Mark David Chapman (played by Lohan’s former beau, Jared Leto).
• Hold off on the get-well cards to Matthew McConaughey. London’s Mirror claimed the actor broke his collarbone in a surfing accident on vacation in Costa Rica with girlfriend Penelope Cruz, but his rep says there’s "no truth" to the report.
• More rumor control: Jude Law has not been banned from the Louisiana set of "Factory Girl," in which his girlfriend, Sienna Miller, plays Warhol superstar Edie Sedgwick. Another London report claimed producers worried that Law would attract too much media attention and distract the actress. But a top production source tells us, "He was just there three weeks ago for several days."
• What squeaky-clean prime-time actress was caught white-nosed while doing some snow-plowing in Miami the other night?
• David Strathairn is already riding Oscar buzz to the New York Stage and Film’s Winter Gala. The "Good Night, and Good Luck" star will be honored at the Copa fete Thursday by his director, George Clooney, along with Meryl Streep, Kathy Bates, Chris Cooper, Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick and Lisa Kudrow.
• Mariah Carey, glittering under Bentley Meeker’s lights, had Topher Grace, Julia Stiles and other revelers at Cipriani 42nd Street screaming.
• Nightlife guru Rich Thomas is letting longtime girlfriend Tamie Peters into his heart’s VIP room. He proposed last weekend at — where else? — Marquee, where he used to be the doorman.
• What dazzling Oscar-winning actress (and mom) is said to have grown intimate with her female business manager?
• That Jenny Craig diet may be working. A spy says Barbra Streisand looked much thinner as she shopped on Palm Canyon Drive in old Palm Springs last week while house-guesting in the California desert with Barry Manilow.
• "West Wing" castmates Mary-Louise Parker, Joshua Malina, Richard Schiff and Bradley Whitford caught up at Babbo. Overheard in their table talk: "Rob Lowe" and "narcissistic."
• Regulars at Red Rooster Miniature Golf in Brewster, N.Y., are still -talking about the way that Kate Winslet cut in front of somebody’s granny on the burger line.
• Bill Pullman dropped backstage at Off-Broadway’s "Dog Sees God" to say hi to Eliza Dushku, his co-star in the upcoming flick "Nobel Son."