Homepage > Joss Whedon’s Tv Series > Firefly > News > 3 Firefly Stars on The Fembot’s Top 10 Hottest Men in (...)
Firefly3 Firefly Stars on The Fembot’s Top 10 Hottest Men in Sci-Fi
Thursday 22 December 2005, by Webmaster
It’s time for me to get purely physical - er, that is, shallow. This is when I squeal and squee over the hotness factor that seems to permeate so very many science fiction shows and movies lately. Seriously, I tune into a sci-fi looking for plot and substance and interesting characters, only to find my screen filled with hot men who constantly cause me to completely forget what the storyline was ever about in the first place!
What’s up with that?
Pondering this phenomena, I forced myself to sit down in front of the 120” screen in the home theater, and quickly review some of my favorite science fiction TV shows and movies in order to quantify the ‘hot.’ I know, it’s a rough job, but somebody has to do it!! (Don’t worry, guys! I plan on tackling my choices for the hottest females in Sci-Fi in the next column...)
The following are based purely on my own physical and emotional preferences for looks, personality, and occasionally talent.
10) Sean Maher (Dr. Simon Tam on Firefly/Serenity) - What is it for Joss’ talent of putting together such pretty casts for his shows? And that’s the best way to describe Sean Maher - pretty! From the beautiful, thickly lashed eyes, to the endearingly shy smile (and perfect hair!) - Sean is one of those individuals that a person could just stare at for hours on end. Kudos to the very rare shirtless Simon scenes, which are always a treat that leave me wishing for more!
9) Christopher Judge (Teal’c on Stargate:SG-1) - Chris is one of those physical preferences, first and foremost. Have you seen the arms on this guy? Seriously, as cool as the character of Teal’c is, with a brilliant flare for both drama and comedy, the man could just stand around on my television screen shirtless, and I would be equally pleased. The talent isn’t necessary, but it’s nice to have, and it doesn’t hurt that he’s extremely funny and personable in person, either!
8) Josh Holloway (Sawyer on Lost) - The only reason I continue to tune into the show! Okay, so maybe that isn’t necessarily true, but the promise of bare Sawyer-chest every now and again is certainly enough for me to never miss an episode. Sure, the story is intriguing, and I’m curious to see where they’re going (if anywhere!) with the mystery, but watching Josh on my screen is like an added bonus. Great acting, curious plotline - and hot, half-naked men on beaches! What’s not to love? Plus, you know, dimples!!!
7) David Hewlett (Dr. Rodney McKay on Stargate:Atlantis) - Bet you weren’t expecting that one, were you? Yes, a hot body and chiseled jaw frequently does it for me, but so does intelligence and snark! David just has a way of portraying Dr. Rodney McKay that makes him sympathetic, adorable and aggravating. I can’t help but love the mixture of vulnerability and arrogance that comes through. Plus, it’s a major bonus that David is such a geek on his own time. He also has pretty eyes, a very sweet smile and is generous to his fans. Nothing but love for this guy!
6) Nathan Fillion (Captain Malcolm Reynolds on Firefly/Serenity) - Two weeks ago, Nathan might not have made this list. Sure, he has really pretty blue eyes, is extremely talented, and the character of Malcolm Reynolds is unforgettable, but the right...combination was just never quite there for me. After meeting him, though, and discovering what a video game geek he is, and how friendly and funny and positively hyperactive he is, I can’t help but adore him! Nathan shot up in my favorite guys’ list with a simple smile. Now those are some powerful pheromones he’s packing!
5) Tom Welling (Clark on Smallville) - I can’t stand the portrayal of Clark Kent on the TV series, Smallville. I think he is sanctimonious and mean and rude, and definitely not someone I would ever want to look up to. That’s not Tom’s fault, though. He’s talented, pretty and has the most gorgeous smile that ever flashed across my television screen. Did I mention he was pretty? I only wish they would go ahead and give in to dressing him up in the Supersuit...just so I could see the man in skin-tight spandex!
4) Michael Rosenbaum (Lex on Smallville) - The man is just sexy, there’s no other way to put it. How many guys can actually claim to look that hot bald? (Besides Patrick Stewart who just owns that look!) And no one wears suits like he can. Okay, aside from everything I adore about him as the character of Lex Luthor, Michael himself is funny, charming and very talented. He’s a big old fanboy, and how can you not love that? Sometimes, I swear the man is a bigger geek than me. And that’s saying quite a bit! He owns a stand-up arcade of Galaga, and that alone should make me hate him as I fill with jealousy, but it just makes me adore him that much more!
3) Joe Flanigan (Colonel John Sheppard on Stargate: Atlantis) - Joe is another one of those men who is just simply pretty. When I met him, I was fascinated by his eyes, his smile, his quiet and polite demeanor - I flipped head over heels for him! He also has the best hair in Hollywood. No, really. Sure it does that odd little standing up, unruly thing, but it’s dark and shiny, and it’s very, very difficult not to want to just run your fingers through it. Not that I did that. I’m shallow, not crazy! I’ll mention, too, that I love his portrayal of John Sheppard - the man has comedic timing tuned to a fine art! Funny is sexy!
2) Jason Momoa (Ronon Dex on Stargate: Atlantis) - Ah, what to say about Jason? He’s one of my more recent crushes - someone I never even knew existed until he appeared on Atlantis this season. Now, I just can’t stop looking at the man! 6’5” with a body carved by Michelangelo, and the most adorable smile that you just never really expect. The character of Ronon Dex quickly rose to a favorite slot on the series for me, and when I’d first read spoilers, I was completely prepared to hate him. Jason saved that, though. Sure, his being positively gorgeous helps out a lot, but he managed to turn what could have been a very boring warrior-like, been-there done-that character into a big ol’ teddy bear. I just wanna squish him!
1) Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb on Firefly/Serenity) - Oh, now really! Did you expect to see anyone else in this slot? Like Jason, there’s the height and the muscles and the smile...but then Adam has him beat with the deep blue eyes. Plus, he’s intelligent, articulate, well read, sweet, polite, and extremely talented. All of that combined leads to very, very sexy. Do I sound biased? I sure as hell hope so! Seriously, the man is completely underrated in Hollywood. I’ve adored him since I was eight-years old, and I will continue to adore him when I’m 80. He’s one of those rare specimens that simply improve with age, and every time he’s on my TV screen, there is cause for much flailing in my household. Give him more roles, I say! Preferably, the shirtless kind!
Well, that’s much better. I needed to get this out! I’m not ashamed to admit that there are plenty of reasons out there for me to tune into Sci-Fi beyond character development and story arc. Ten of them just happened to be listed above. When it comes to ogling pretty things, I like to look at myself as an equal opportunity offender. My Top 10 Hottest Women in Sci-Fi will be coming soon...